You are here
Introducing Rabindranath Maharaj
Date of Birth: June 2, 1955
Place of Birth: Trinidad
Home Community: Ajax
Durham Region Background:
Moved to Ajax in 1994 to work briefly as a supply teacher and then as an English teacher at Pine Ridge Secondary. Resigned in 2005 to focus on full time writing.
- Instructor: University of Toronto SCS
- M.A. Creative Writing (University of New Brunswick, 1989)
- MA English (University of the West Indies, 2001)
Honours and Awards:
- 2005 Rogers/Writers’ Trust Prize, finalist for Best Novel, A Perfect Pledge.
- 2005 Commonwealth Writer’s Prize (Canada/Caribbean Region), finalist, A Perfect Pledge.
- 2005 Globe and Mail, A Best Book, A Perfect Pledge.
- 2005 Toronto Star, A Best Book, A Perfect Pledge.
- 2000 Globe and Mail, A Best Book, The Lagahoo’s Apprentice.
- 2000 Toronto Star, Best Of Fiction List, The Lagahoo’s Apprentice.
- 2000 Write Magazine, runner-up, Book of the Year, The Lagahoo’s Apprentice.
- 1998 Chapters/Books in Canada First Novel Award, finalist, Homer in Flight.
- 1996 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize (Canada/Caribbean Region), finalist for Best First Book, The Interloper.
Organizations and Associations:
- The picture of nobody (Grass Roots Press, 2010)
- The amazing absorbing boy (Knopf Canada,.2010)
- A perfect pledge (Knopf Canada; simultaneously published in the US by Farrar, Strauss&Giroux, and by Mouria press in the Netherlands, 2005)
- The Lagahoo's apprentice (Knopf Canada, also published by Turkey İşbank Culture Publications, 2000)
- Homer in flight (Goose Lane Editions, 1997)
- The book of ifs and buts (Knopf Canada,.2002)
- The writer and his wife (Peepal Tree Press, UK, 1996)
- The interloper (Goose Lane Editions, 1995)
Public Speaking Topics:
Anything related to fiction writing